Eczema Treatments Overview
There is no cure for eczema, but many treatments are available and more are on the horizon. In fact, there are currently an unprecedented number of new treatments for eczema in development. To learn more about these, visit Treatments in Development.
Depending on the type of eczema and severity, treatments include lifestyle changes, over-the-counter (OTC) remedies or prescription medication.
Eczema symptoms can be different for everyone. Not everyone will respond to a treatment in the same way, so it’s best to familiarize yourself with all of the options and consult with your healthcare provider to find a treatment regimen that works for you or your child.
For most types of eczema, managing the condition and its symptoms comes down to these basics:
- Know your triggers
- Implement a regular bathing and moisturizing routine
- Use OTC and/or prescription medications consistently and as prescribed
- Watch for signs of skin infection — pus-filled bumps, pain, redness or heat
Some other things you can do to help manage eczema symptoms:
- Cultivate a care team of healthcare providers to help you find the right treatment. Find an eczema expert in your area through NEA’s Provider Finder.
- Try not to scratch and rub the affected skin — and limit contact with materials or substances that may irritate your skin. Dress in soft, breathable clothing and avoid itchy fabrics like wool that can further irritate your eczema. Recognize stressful situations and events — and learn to avoid or cope with them by using techniques for stress management. You may do this on your own or with the help of a trusted healthcare provider.
However, some people find that even when they do all the “right” things, their eczema still flares. Eczema can be an unpredictable disease, and there is much still to learn about it. Having an eczema flare out of the blue is common and can happen despite your best efforts. For all treatments, be sure to consult with your healthcare provider to weigh the benefits vs. the risks to determine whether it is right for you. Download our fact sheet on the basics of eczema skincare.