We asked a group of children with eczema to explain what it’s like living with this condition. Here’s what they told us and the pictures they drew when words weren’t enough.
What are some of the problems kids with eczema have?
- Sleeping a lot
- Boo boos
- Breaking out
- Trying to stop scratching
- Itching till it bleeds, then I get scabs
- Getting up a lot at night and itching
- Feeling left out
- Getting left behind by friends sometimes.
What do your parents think about your eczema?
- It’s a terrible burden
- They have to deal with it
- Something that needs to be cured
- A horrible disease
- A terrible skin problem people get
- A really bad skin disease that has affected our lives
What do your friends think about your eczema?
- They think it is poison ivy
- They feel bad for me
- They think I’m not normal, odd
- They don’t know about it or think it’s just a rash
What are some things that help you with your eczema?
- Wrapped hands
- Something cold
- A warm shower and a ton of cream
- A book
- Playing with my friends
- Activities like video games
- Nothing really, I guess just knowing it will go away soon
How do strangers see you?
- They just see my rash
- They think it is chicken pox
- They stare
- Some people think it’s contagious, gross
- They see me coming
- I don’t think they know I have it